SMC 2020 - CALL FOR PAPERS
The 17th Sound & Music Computing Conference will take place in Turin, Italy, 24-26 June 2020 and will be organized by:
SMC 2020 will run back to back with the 23rd CIM – Colloquium on Music Informatics, the national conference of the Italian SMC community.
SMC 2020 welcomes contributions for oral and poster/demo presentations examining all the core topics of the Sound and Music Computing field, including but not limited to:
- Algorithms and systems for music composition
- Auditory display and data sonification
- Automatic separation, recognition, classification of sound and music
- Automatic music generation/accompaniment systems
- Computational musicology and ethnomusicology
- Content processing of music audio signals
- Digital audio effects
- Hardware systems for sound and music computing
- Humanities in sound and music computing
- Interactive performance systems
- Interfaces for sound and music
- Languages, protocols, and software environments for sound and music computing
- Models for sound analysis and synthesis
- Multimodality in sound and music computing
- Music creation and performance
- Music information retrieval
- Music performance analysis and rendering
- Perception and cognition of sound and music
- Social interaction in sound and music computing
- Sonic interaction design
- Sound and music for accessibility and special needs
- Sound and music for augmented/virtual reality and games
- Sound/music and the neurosciences
- Sound/music signal processing algorithms
- Spatial sound, reverberation, and virtual acoustics
- Technologies for the preservation, access and modelling of musical heritage
This year's featured topic is Imaging Sound.
The expression is meant to couple (moving) image and sound via the many expressive and technological relations that the two entertain in audio-visual and multimedia contexts. Imaging Sound thus involves both the need to model sound in relation to multimedia content and, vice versa, the possibility of shaping those contents on audio features. SMC 2020 particularly welcomes contributions in:
- Audio and music for films
- Audio-visual composition
- Auditory-visual crossmodal correspondences
- Colour in sound and image
- History and aesthetics of visual/film music
- Image and music computing
- Improvisation in audio-visual contexts
Papers should be between 4 and 8 pages, written in English and not previously published. The paper submission must be in PDF and must conform to the conference template available at the SMC 2020 web page (LaTeX and Office).
Full paper submission deadline: March 6th, 2020.
Papers can be submitted for oral or poster presentation and the final decision on the presentation format will be made by the Programme Committee. All submissions will be peer-reviewed and all accepted papers, independently of the presentation format, will be included in the conference Proceedings.
The Proceedings will have an ISBN and its electronic version will be available on the SMC website (smcnetwork.org). Please note that at least one of the paper authors has to register to the SMC 2020 conference for the paper to be presented and included in the Proceedings. The site to upload your paper will be out soon.
The SMC 2020 Scientific Committee Chairs
Simone Spagnol and Charalampos Saitis